Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Arts & Crafts Demonstration
- When/Where: Saturday, Sept. 29 from 1-3 p.m. at A.C. Moore
- Why Go: Stop by A.C. Moore in Nanuet this Saturday with your kids for a demonstration with Inkadinkado Stamping Gear
- Cost/Contact: A.C. Moore / Free
Celebrate Carolyn Family Fun Day
- When/Where: Saturday, Sept. 29 at 3 -7 p.m. at Pearl River Elks Lodge
- Why Go: The Carolyn Sullivan Memorial Foundation will hold its Second Annual Family Fun Day fundraiser Sept. 29 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Pearl River Elks.There will be children’s games and activities, food, beer, wine and soda as well as music, prizes, tricky tray and raffles.
- Cost/Contact: Prices are $50 for adults, $20 for children and free for under five years old. To register or find more information go to the Carolyn Sullivan Foundation website. The event sold out last year, but the foundation has reserved more space this time around.
- When/Where: Saturday, Sept. 29 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.(Raindate: Sunday, Sept. 30)/Rockland Lake State Park, North Parking Lot # 2, Lake Rd East & North Route 9W, Congers
- Why Go: Join Clarkstown Supervisor Alex Gromack for a hike on the Long Path or take a stroll around Rockland Lake. There will be narrated tours and scenic views of the Hudson River. Three hikes are offered: a one-hour hike on the Short Long Path overlooking the Hudson River 1.7 miles, four-hour hike on the Long Path approximately 6 miles and one-hour hike around Rockland Lake 3.2 miles. T-shirts, water and fruit available before the hike begins.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.town.clarkstown.ny.us/
Jason Krause Kick Cancer Scholarship Fundraiser
- When/Where: Saturday, Sept. 29 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Kennelly’s Grille House in Congers
- Why Go: This family-friendly, sports-themed event raises money for The Jason Krause “Kick” Cancer Scholarship and Jason K: A Matter of Hope at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The Jason Krause Kick Cancer Scholarship is awarded at the Clarkstown North annual athletic banquet. Krause, who graduated from North in 1993, was an all-county soccer player in high school. Krause died from brain cancer Jan. 10, 2008 at the age of 33. There will be sports celebrities including Darryl Strawberry, Graig Nettles, Doc Gooden, a magician, arts and crafts tables, a bouncy castle, a DJ and much more. Grand raffle prizes include two pairs of tickets to “The Big Game” in New Orleans, February 2013, which also includes VIP party passes and hotel room (one hotel room per pair of tickets). There will also be exclusive gift baskets, door prizes and a 50/50. The first 300 guests will receive a free T-Shirt. Sports celebrities will be available from approximatley 2 p.m. to 3:30pm for photos and autographs.
- Cost/Contact: $40 for adults, $10 for children and free for children five and under. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to http://www.facebook.com/JasonKrauseKickCancerScholarship.
Pearl River Special Education PTA Chili Cookoff
- When/Where: Saturday, Sept. 29 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the Central Ave. Field in Pearl River.
- Why Go: Area restaurants and delis including American Burrito, The Blind Boar, Blue Moon Cafe, Davey’s Lockery, Johnny’s BBQ Smokehouse Grill, Luigi O’Grady’s, NoCo Catering, Raffaele’s Pizzeria, ShopRite of Pearl River and Southbound Restaurant will battle for title of "Chili King of Rockland County." There will also be a Rose’s Soft Serve ice cream truck and games for the kids. Proceeds go to the Pearl River Special Education PTA scholarship fund.
- Cost/Contact: $1 per sample of chili. For more information, email email@example.com
Annual Youth Outdoor Expo
- When/Where: Sunday, Sept. 30 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Anderson Field Complex in Orangeburg.
- Why Go: The Pearl River Gun Club, Anderson American Legion Post #1199 and the United Sportsmen of Rockland County sponsor the Annual Youth Outdoor Expo, which will be held rain or shine. Activities will include paint ball guns, wildlife exhibits, instruction on fishing, outdoor safety and camping skills and classes, demonstrations and supervised hands-on activities with archery, rifle and shotgun use.
- Cost/Contact: Free with the aid of a grant from the NRA Foundation. www.pearlrivergunclub.com.
- When/Where: Sunday, Sept. 30 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m./Cropsey Community Farm, 220 S Little Tor Rd, New City
- Why Go: Load the car with family and friends or take your bicycle for a self-guided tour across the county to visit area farms, attend farming demonstrations and workshops, or join a garden tour or two. The fun begins at Cropsey Community Farm, where you can join in Farm to You Festivities including farm tours and workshops, kids activities, cooking demos and more.
- Cost/Contact: $20 per carload, $10 for bicyclists, $5 discount RFA members/www.rocklandfarm.org.