Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Nanuet Spring Concerts
- When/Where: auditorium
Tuesday, May 15 at 8 p.m.—High School Spring Concert
Thursday, May 17 at 7:30 p.m.—7th and 8th grade Spring Concert
Tuesday, May 22 at 7:30 p.m.—6th grade Spring Concert
Thursday, May 24 at 7:30 p.m.—5th grade Spring Concert
- Why Go: Come out and enjoy a night of music and support these students for their time and hard work.
- Cost/Contact: Free
‘Celebration of the Arts’ Opening Reception
- When/Where: 1-4 p.m. on Sunday, May 20 at the
- Why Go: The ‘Celebration of the Arts’ is a district-wide arts show featuring different art works from Nanuet students from grades K-12. The Community Room at the Nanuet Public Library will be filled with about 500 2-D and 3-D work.
- Cost/Contact: Free
- When/Where: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 9 a.m.- 3p.m./ Birchwood School at 214 Sickletown Rd in West Nyack
- Why Go: It’s a garage sale, you’re bound to find bargains.
- Cost/Contact: Paula or Judy at 845-639-6480, ext 3 or e-mail email@example.com.
- When/Where: Saturday, May 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m./New Hempstead Presbyterian Church at 484 New Hempstead Rd in New City
- Why Go: The New Hempstead Presbyterian Church is part of the 'Sacred Sites Open House' program. The church's pastor will be leading touring of its historic sanctuary every half hour. The building has been declared a National Historic Landmark.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.nhpchurch.org/index.html
16th Annual Orangetown Highway Department Open House
- When/Where: Saturday, May 19 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Highway Maintenance Facility at 119 Route 303 in Orangeburg
- Why Go: Family-friendly event includes tours and equipment demonstration. The popular open house gives kids the chance to climb on the big trucks and what kid doesn’t like big trucks? Special guests at this year's open house will include the Orangetown Police Department, Rockland Countyh Sheriff's Department, Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority, Organic Recycling, Inc. and Keep Rockland Beautiful. Also, recycling bins and bags will be available to the public.
- Cost/Contact: Free. For more information, call (845) 359-6500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pearl River Vs. Tappan Zee Softball Under the Lights
- When/Where: South Orangetown Little League’s Bailey Field in Orangeburg at 8 a.m. Friday, May 18.
- Why Go: According to the SOLL, two years ago, the varsity game between these two teams drew 350-plus fans to Bailey Field. The rare night game will showcase two of the top teams in Class A. The last time these teams met, Pearl River won 1-0 on the game’s first hit with two outs in the bottom of the seventh.
- Cost/Contact: www.pearlriver.org.