Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
- When/Where: Friday, Feb. 10 from 9 p.m. to midnight/Bounce Trampoline Sports—612 Corporate Way, Valley Cottage, NY 10989
- Why Go: Bounce! is hosting a special Valentine's Day themed Teen Bounce! Club. They invite teens ages 13 - 19 to come on down and wear red. Bounce! Trampoline Sports is a new sports complex and provides fun and exercise for all ages.
- Cost/Contact: $15 for 3 hours of Bounce time. More information at www.bounceonit.com or call 845-268-4000.
- When/Where: Sunday, Feb. 12 at 1 p.m./ , 450 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack, NY
- Why Go: Join Rockland Jewish Academy for our very first family fun day! Help celebrate Tu B’Shevat and say happy birthday to the trees with crafts, games, snacks and a interactive musical performance by kids' musician and funster MATTY ROXX. Come for the festivities and learn about Rockland’s new Jewish day school! All are welcome!
- Cost/Contact: Free / 845-362-4200 x207; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.rocklandjewishacademy.org
Indoor Little League Clinic
- When/Where: Saturday, Feb. 11 from 1 to 5 p.m./Nanuet Family Resource Center Gym on Convent Road in Nanuet - formerly St. Agatha’s gym
- Why Go: This free clinic is for Kindergarten and 1st Grade Boys and Girls (T-Ball). There will be four 50-minute time slots with up to 30 kids per time slot so register quickly to reserve your child’s spot.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Online Registration for the Spring 2012 Season and the free clinics: http://www.nanuetlittleleague.org/Registration/
- When/Where: 4 p.m to 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9 in the Pearl River Public Library Community Room
- Why Go: High school student volunteers will be available to help younger kids in Kindergarten through fifth grade with their homework. .
- Cost/Contact: No registration required. Just bring your homework. For more information, contact Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084, ext. 126.
- When/Where: 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13 at the Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: Take part in a Zumba program designed for students in grades six through 12. Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness workout. This is one of four workouts scheduled for the library, though it is not necessary attend all of them.
- Cost/Contact: Free, but registration is required. Contact the adult reference desk at (845) 735-4094 ext. 115.
New City Elementary School Bingo Family Fun Night
- When/Where: Friday, Feb. 10, 7 pm/New City Elementary School, 60 Crestwood Dr, New City
- Why Go: A night of fun for the whole family filled with Bingo games, raffles and great prizes! It costs $5 per player, and you get a stamper and pack of Bingo cards. There will also be a bake sale.
- Cost/Contact: $5 per email@example.com
Clarkstown High School South's Centerstage Presents "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"
- When/Where: Friday, Feb. 10, 7:00 pm/Clarkstown High School South, 31 Demarest Mill Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: Clarkstown South's Drama Club, Centerstage, presents its first-ever student run musical, directed by Jake Catsaros and assistant directed by Zoe Correa. Half of the proceeds from this event will be going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, while the other half will be going towards Centerstage's spring musical. The show is performed one night only.The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a hilarious tale of overachievers' angst chronicling the experience of six adolescent outsiders vying for the spelling championship of a lifetime. The show's Tony Award winning creative team has created the unlikeliest of hit musicals about the unlikeliest of heroes: a quirky yet charming cast of outsiders for whom a spelling bee is the one place where they can stand out and fit in at the same time.
- Cost/Contact: $10 in advance, $15 at the firstname.lastname@example.org
Valentine’s Yoga Love for Hi Tor Animal Shelter
- When/Where: Saturday, February 11, 1 to 3 p.m./Sanctuary Yoga Studios, 132 Park Avenue, New City
- Why Go: Join the volunteers of HiTor Animal Shelter, the yoga teachers of Sanctuary Yoga Studios and Manduka Yoga Mats for a healthy, harmonious and rejuvenating yoga class! An afternoon filled with yoga, friendship, & healing love for animals that are waiting for their future mom & dad, sisters & brothers to adopt them. Participate in: A 90 minute all levels Yoga class; Join four of Rockland County’s' best Yoga teachers; Win raffle prizes from Manduka, Starbucks and other local businesses; Something Sweet because you are too!
- Please bring a shelter item with you to donate along with $20 cash or a check made out to Hi-Tor (100% of proceeds go to the shelter). Look in your closets for blankets you don't use. Maybe you have a pet that has way too many toys, litter, pet food. A representative from Hi-Tor will speak at 1 p.m. about the shelter and what we can do to help. Learn about the adoptive pets available for homes... they are looking for their own Sanctuary just like we are.
- Cost/Contact: $20 donation to Hi-Tor and a shelter item and extra blankets /www.sanctuaryyogastudios.com Please call to register 845-548-1090
- When/Where: Friday, February 10, 1:00 pm/, 450 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: This fun and educational class combines yoga poses with music, movement, and stories. Children learn about their body parts as we stretch into yoga poses, wiggle and move to different types of music, and play noncompetitive games.
- Cost/Contact: Free/Cathie Izen 845-362-4400 ext 103