Formerly known as Potter’s Café, reopened on Main Street in Nanuet earlier this year. The restaurant is family run: Mario Martinez is the owner and his daughter Thalia works as a waitress and hostess.
The family decided to change the name in order to reflect the type of food the restaurant really served. Patch did a and then sat down with Mario for a chat.
1. Why did you choose to be a chef?
I've always enjoyed cooking I have a passion for it an as the owner of the restaurant. I do everything the best I can and with love.
2. Where did you/did you train?
I worked as a cook for over 20 years but before I opened the restaurant I began to train heavily as a chef. I was trained by one of my close friends who is a professional chef. It's a long process and you're constantly learning new things everyday.
3. Where have you worked?
I worked at the and Portchester Diner.
4. What would you consider your greatest accomplishment?
My biggest accomplishment is being able to do every job in the restaurant from being a waiter, dishwasher, cook and chef.
5. What is your favorite dish to make? Why?
I love to cook sautéed foods because the process is very nice, and I enjoy applying all the spices.
6. What is the hardest part of being a chef?
The hardest part is having to cope with all the responsibility on your shoulders. It is important to always give the food the same taste and make the right amount of everyone. The restaurant depends on you.
7. Any advice for aspiring chefs?
I'll give 3 tips:
- Have a passion for cooking.
- Be responsible.
- Don't give up; it's a learning process and each day you will get better.
Mario's Diner Family Restaurant is located at 119 Main Street in Nanuet.