Nanuet Fire Department
PO Box 356 / 7 Prospect Street, Nanuet, NY 10954
(845) 623-9690 FAX (845) 623-6256
Protect your Family from Fire!
OPEN HOUSE – October 16, 2011 - 12 to 3 PM
The best way to protect your family from fire is to be ahead of the game. With more than 360,000 home fires reported in the United States in 2009, your best defense is a good offense.
That’s why the Nanuet Fire Department is holding a Fire Prevention Open House on October 16, 2011, 12 Noon to 3:00 PM. We want to let our community know: “It’s Fire Prevention Week. Protect your Family from Fire!”
This year’s campaign focuses on preventing the leading causes of home fire: cooking, heating and electrical equipment, as well as candles and smoking materials. Additionally, it urges people to protect their homes and families with life-saving planning.
In 2009, 2,565 people died in home fires. Nearly all of these deaths could have been prevented by taking a few simple precautions like having working smoke alarms and a home fire escape plan.
The Nanuet Fire Department offers the following tips for protecting your home and family from fire:
- Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heaters.
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- If you smoke, smoke outside.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.