Every household does its fair share of cleaning to keep up a neat appearance, not just for guests but for general sanity, as well. Have you ever considered that you may need to go the extra mile to get your house in "selling shape?"
Director of Marketing Bobbi Egan found these suggestions across the Internet to help you shake off winter and open your home to warmer weather. The following tips will prepare your home ready for showing and selling this spring and summer.
- Are your windows sparkling clean? The winter months can make them dull and dirty. Clean windows will let in much more light, making your home look brighter and more open.
- Is your garage a catch-all like mine? I recently read that the best way to clean a garage is to take all non-used items out and reorganize what needs to be there. Put everything its proper place, throw it out or give it away to someone in need. Your garage will appear spacious and well cared for when you’re done.
- Consider steam cleaning your carpets and rugs. You can rent or buy a machine and do it yourself, or hire a company to do it for you. It’s a great way to extend the life of your carpet and will make your house look and smell fresh and clean.
- Go through those piles of mail and stacks of paper that have been accumulating – throw out the junk and file the rest. Eliminating clutter is good for the soul as well as for a sale.
- Walk around your home inside and out. Note anything that’s broken and in need of fixing. Plan a schedule for making necessary repairs.
- Take on one project at a time. Don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of organizing that needs to be done. Itemize projects and check them off as you go. Before you know it, your home will be ready for spring and hopefully a new buyer!