A Spring Valley man stopped on Route 59 in Nanuet for driving erratically early Saturday is charged with drunken driving and driving while on drugs, according to the Rockland County Sheriff's Department.
John E. Hawthorne, 30, of Spring Valley, was also found to be wanted by Ramapo police on a DWI charge and he was found to be in possession of a controlled substance and marijuana when he was pulled over by a sheriff's officer at 4:16 a.m. As a result of the charges against him, Hawthorne is being held in the Rockland County Correctional Facility in New City on $2,500 bail pending a hearing Wednesday in Clarkstown Town Court in New City.
Police said Hawthorne appeared intoxicated when he was stopped and it was determine he was also impaired by drugs. Police said they also found that Hawthorne was driving while his license had been suspended for a previous conviction on driving while his ability was impaired. Hawthorne also had other problems with his license related to unpaid tickets, police said.
Additionally, a bench warrant had been issued in Ramapo Town Court for Hawthorne in connection with a DWI charge, police said.
Hawthorne was charged with:
- First-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a felony.
- Seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor.
- Driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor.
- Driving while ability impaired by drugs, a misdemeanor.
- Unlawful possession of marijuana, a violatoin.