The Rockland Road Runners is helping local charities start off the New Year with a lot of smiles.
The club presented checks amounting to $64,000 to local charities at its annual reorganization kickoff meeting on January 7 at the Nanuet Restaurant. The money was raised from the club’s 22nd annual 5-Mile Turkey Trot held on Thanksgiving Day at Rockland Lake. The amounts donated from the race were as follows:
· $47,500 to the Marisa Fund
· $7,000 to People to People
· $5,000 to Rockland County Police Hispanic Society Scholarship Fund
· $2,500 to Vasculitis Foundation
· $2,000 Rockland Road Runners’ Scholarship Fund
The 2013 Turkey Trot attracted 3,395 registered entrants, a Rockland County race record and one of the highest totals for a Turkey Trot in the Hudson Valley region.
In addition to check presentations, the club presented its annual club member awards and inaugurated its new board members for the 2014 - 2015 term.
· Don Cordisco Award: David Goldwasser
· Volunteer of the Year Award: Kathleen Daly
· George Wodicka Inspiration Award: Rich Fernandez
· Runners of the Year: Russell Flax and Elizabeth Apicella
· Road Runners Clubs of America’s National Volunteer Award: William Carpenter and Laura DiMarino
2014 - 2015 Board Members:
· President: Jonathan Farrell
· Vice President: John MacKenzie
· Secretary: Kristen Lowenwirth
· Treasurer: Bill Carpenter
· Membership Chair: Jesse Hackell
Also, the club welcomed Rich Fernandez as the new Activities Chair.
We look forward to seeing you at our 2014 races and our next general meeting on Tuesday, March 4 at the Nanuet Restaurant!