Pearl River senior Christa Scognamiglio was named the Rockland County's top senior female athlete of the 2011-12 winter season Thursday. Suffern ice hockey player John Redgate was named top male senior athlete in Rockland for the winter.
The athletic directors at Rockland County's 11 high schools submit their outstanding senior male and female athletes for each season to the selection committee. All 66 nominees are invited to the annual awards breakfast Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at the Pearl River Elks Club.
The selection committee is made up of retired Suffern AD Bob Buono, retired Albertus Magnus and Pearl River AD Tom Collins, retired Nanuet football and wrestling coach Rich Conklin, retired Pearl River AD Tom Doherty, Commissioner of Rockland County Officials Jimmy Kane and former Nanuet AD Judy Slutsky.
The nominees broken down by school are:
- Albertus Magnus: Tyler Sayre (basketball) and Colleen Power (basketball)
- Clarkstown North: Mike Kahn (skiing) and Joe Temco (skiing)
- Clarkstown South: Sean Piacente (swimming and diving) and Megan Lugo (indoor track)
- Nanuet: Spencer Mayfield IV (basketball) and Deanna Felicissimo (indoor track)
- North Rockland: Mike Caputo (wrestling) and Danielle Russell (indoor track)
- Nyack: Kyle Gill (indoor track) and Taryn Brady (basketball)
- Pearl River: Joey Clinton (basketball) and Christa Scognamiglio (basketball)
- Ramapo: David Haye (basketball) and Courtney Jasmin (indoor track)
- Spring Valley: Winslow Dorsainvil (basketball) and Regina Wilson (basketball)
- Suffern: John Redgate (ice hockey) and Sarah Bowens (indoor track)
- Tappan Zee: Pat Peterson (basketball) and Regina Argenzio (basketball)
Scognamiglio was named New York State Class A Player of the Year in April for a season in which she became Pearl River's all-time leading scorer and led the Pirates to a Section 1 championship and the school's first-ever appearance in the in the state semifinals.
Scognamiglio, who will play her college ball at Division I Fairfield, was also named first-team all state by the New York State Sportswriter's Association, first-team All-NYSPHSAA Class A All-Tournament. She finished her career with 1,685 points, second all-time in Rockland County girls basketball.
Redgate was named New York State Division I Player of the Year and Section 1 Player of the Year, leading Suffern to sectional, regional and state championships.
The Rockland County Sports Hall of Fame Committee, Rockland County Sports Coaches Association and Crown Trophy of Pearl River sponsor the awards, given three times a year for over 30 years, once each for the fall, winter and spring seasons.