A local selection committee chose Nanuet cross country runner Megan Young as the top female and Tappan Zee football player Joe Letizia as the male among Rockland County senior athletes for the fall of 2012.
The athletic directors from Rockland County's 11 high schools each submit a male and female nominee for the fall, winter and spring seasons each year and the committee selects the best male and female athlete for each season. All 66 nominees are invited to the annual awards breakfast Tuesday, June 4, 2012 at the Pearl River Elks Club.
The Rockland County Sports Hall of Fame Committee, Rockland County Sports Coaches Association and Crown Trophy of Pearl River sponsor the awards, given three times a year for over 30 years.
The selection committee is made up of retired Suffern AD Bob Buono, retired Albertus Magnus and Pearl River AD Tom Collins, retired Nanuet football and wrestling coach Rich Conklin, retired Pearl River AD Tom Doherty, Commissioner of Rockland County Officials Jimmy Kane and former Nanuet AD Judy Slutsky.
Letizia ran the ball 194 times for 1,249 yards and 13 touchdowns as a senior, earning first-team all-state honors at running back in Class A. He finished his career holding Rockland County records for rushing yards (4,234), total touchdowns (56) and total points (367).
Young won the individual championship at the New York State Class B meet, earning first-team all-state honors. She finished fourth in the New York State Federation Meet and won the Rockland County and Section 1 Class B championships.
Young led the Golden Knights as a team to a third-place finish in the state Class B meet and Section 1 and Rockland County meet championships.
The nominees broken down by school are:
- Albertus Magnus: Nico Denise (Football) and Kerry Mulcahy (Soccer)
- Clarkstown North: Dennis O'Connor (Volleyball) and Rebecca McGinn (Volleyball)
- Clarkstown South: Mark Annunziato (Football) and Taylor Carroll (Volleyball)
- Nanuet: Dan Breit (Football) and Megan Young (Cross Country)
- North Rockland: Steven Hegner (Soccer) and Rebekah Sanchez (Volleyball)
- Nyack: Anders Fleming (Soccer) and Kristen Soeder (Tennis)
- Pearl River: Giovanni Galvano (Soccer) and Marissa Scognamiglio (Soccer)
- Ramapo: Cristian Diaz-Rosales (Soccer) and Dianna Johnson (Tennis)
- Spring Valley: Midnet Cantave (Football) and Stephanie Rodriguez (Volleyball)
- Suffern: Chris Gragnani (Football) and Kaila Cahoon (Field Hockey)
- Tappan Zee: Joe Letizia (Football) and Chrissie Ryan (Cross Country)