Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Arts & Craft Demo
- When/Where: from 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, July 7
- Why Go: AC Moore has free Arts & Craft Demonstartion this Saturday. Stop by and see the Fashion Angels Hair Chox “Hair Chalking” demonstration. There are also 220 kids craft projects for only $1.
- Cost/Contact: Free /
A.C. Moore Make & Take
- When/Where: from 1-3 p.m. on Wednesday, July 11
- Why Go: AC Moore has an Arts & Craft Make & Take activity. If you purchase the supplies, stay for the fun class Nicole Crafts & Fibre-Craft Foam Viser.
- Cost/Contact: Cost of a foam viser /
Teen Pool Party
- When/Where: this Friday, July 6 from 8 - 10:30 p.m.
- Why Go: It's hot and your teen is probably getting restless with school being out. Bring them to Germonds Pool for the Teen Pool Party. There will be DJ music and swimming.
- Cost/Contact: It's open to ages 12 to 17. The event is free and proof of age and Clarkstown residency are required
- When/Where: Saturday, July 7 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m./Cropsey Community Farm, 220 S Little Tor Rd, New City.Kids/Families from 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. $20 RFA members $25 non-RFA members/Adults/Teens: 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. $25 RFA members $30 non-RFA members
- Why Go: Experience "en plein air" (in the open air) painting at the Cropsey Community Farm barn! Learn basic drawing and painting while taking in the beauty of the farm. Barns have always been a popular subject matter for artists everywhere. Basic drawing and painting techniques (line, value, light and shadow), fundamental composition, and color relationships will be discussed. Finished paintings at the end of the workshop can be displayed at a future farm event and could be auctioned off in support of the farm! All materials are provided.
- Cost/Contact: $20-$30/E-mail email@example.com to register.
- When/Where: Sunday, July 8, 2012 beginning at 7 a.m. until 9:30am/Germonds Road, West Nyack
- Why Go: Second annual Clarkstown Swim Across America will be held at Germonds Pool. In collaboration with the Long Island Sound Swim Across America, the local event will be held to raise money to help fight cancer. Proceeds will benefit United Hospice of Rockland and cancer research programs at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York Presbyterian Babies Hospital Tommy Palazzo Fellowship for Columbia University, DeMatteo Research Laboratories and the Cancer Support Team.The Town of Clarkstown will co-sponsor the event which includes 1/2 mile or 1 mile pool swims which are open to swimmers of all ages. Swimmers may form relay teams. Teams of friends and family may participate as a group. Each swimmer receives a T-shirt and a towel. Shower and changing facilities are provided at Germonds Pool and light refreshments will be available.
- Cost/Contact: Donations accepted/http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/long_island
Tommy Dunn & Jan Lynch Band
- When/Where: Friday at 6 p.m. at Veteran’s Memorial Park in Orangeburg
- Why Go: This free performance offers a mix of Irish and oldies music. The Verlin Irish Step Dancers will be among the entertainers for “Music Under The Stars.” Refreshments will be available. Bring your own lawn blankets and chairs.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information, call 845-359-7061 or 845-548-02109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the band, go to www.tommydunnandjanlynch.com
Explore Your Dreams: Books and Smooties
- When/Where: Wednesday, July 11 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Community Room
- Why Go: Explore Your Dreams is held weekly for children entering grades four through six. This week is all about books and smoothies.
- Cost/Contact: Free/Registration through Friday. For more information, contact Pamela Gunning at 845-735-4084 ext 126.