Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Teen Movie Night
- When/Where: 6-8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 25 at the
- Why Go: The movie Hugo will be shown on the big screen for grade 6 graduates to grade 12 graduates.
- Cost/Contact: Registration required. Free /
Arts & Craft Demo
- When/Where: from 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, July 28
- Why Go: AC Moore has free a Arts & Craft activity this Saturday. Stop by and learn about Premier Starbella Ruffle Scarf. There are also 220 kids craft projects for only $1.
- Cost/Contact: Free /
Arts & Craft Make & Take
- When/Where: from 1-3 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug 1
- Why Go: AC Moore has free a Arts & Craft Make & Take activity. Stop by and participate in the Melissa & Doug® Sticker Nicole™ Craft Frame craft. There are also 220 kids craft projects for only $1.
- Cost/Contact: Free /
- When/Where: Saturday, July 28 at
- Why Go: Autism Speaks in conjunction with Flip 'n Dip will be hosting a Fundraiser on July 28. A portion of the day’s proceeds will go toward Autism Speaks. Also, from noon to 5 p.m. Nanuet’s Christine Camillieri will sell Silpada’s unique, handcrafted .925 Sterling Silver Jewelry. She will donate 50% of her proceeds to Autism Speaks.
- Cost/Contact: cost of your frozen treat /
Receive updates to this story and other breaking news in your inbox or smartphone by signing up for our newsletter here
- When/Where: Saturday, July 28 at 10 to 11 a.m./Demarest Kill Park, 57 New Hempstead Rd, New City
- Why Go: Join Docent Sue Humbach on this less than 1-mile easy (1-sneaker) walk on paved road and gravel and pine needle trails. The trail has a wooden fishing station and benches along the way. This is a kid-friendly walk and will offer a variety of family-friendly activities, including story time in the woods and a scavenger hunt. Walkers should meet in the parking lot. The walk is partly stroller friendly, and no restrooms are available.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.rocklandsteps.org/calendar
- When/Where: Sunday, July 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m./Lulu’s Cafe, 726 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: United Hospice of Rockland (UHR) Tappan Zee High School teen group of Youth for Hospice will host a fundraiser and 10% of the profits of sales between those hours will be donated to UHR. Youth for Hospice was founded in 2008 ago by 12 sophomores at Clarkstown North High School in New City. The program continues to grow and the current membership of Youth For Hospice is comprised of boys and girls from freshmen to seniors. It has expanded to include students from several area high schools. Two satellite groups of students from Tappan Zee High School and Nyack High School were formed in Fall 2011.
- Cost/Contact: http://www.hospiceofrockland.org
Explore Your Dreams: The Art of Cartooning
- When/Where: Wednesday, Aug. 1 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Community Room.
- Why Go: The weekly activity for kids entering grades four through six focuses on the art of creating cartoons.
- Cost/Contact: Free. Registration runs through July 27. For more information, contact Pamela Gunning at 845-735-4084 ext 126.
Teen Craft at Pearl River Library
- When/Where: Tuesday, July 31 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Pearl River Room at the library
- Why Go: Librarian Christina Linder will organize a creative activity designed for teens. Get in touch with your artistic side.
- Cost/Contact: Free. No registration necessary. For more information, call Christina Linder at 845-735-4084.
- When/Where: Provident Bank Park in Pomona, 7 p.m. Thursday, July 24
- Why Go: Enjoy minor league baseball at Provident Bank Park and support Another Step, Inc., which provides person-centered support for people with developmental disabilities.
- Cost/Contact: Tickets are $17 for home plate boxes, $14 for an infield box. For more information, call Jennifer Sutton at (845) 920-0170 extension 22. To purchase tickets through the Boulders' website, www.rocklandboulders.com, search fundraisers and click Another Step.
- When/Where: Friday, July 27, 10:00 am / IMAX Theatre at Palisades Center, 4270 Palisades Center Dr, West Nyack
- Why Go: West Nyack’s big screen is the only theater showing this polar bear biopic in the region. Grab the kids—the flick is narrated by Meryl Streep, with songs by Paul McCartney.
- Cost/Contact: $9 / (845) 353-5555