Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Arts & Craft Demo
- When/Where: from 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18
- Why Go: AC Moore has free a Arts & Craft activity this Saturday. Stop by and learn about Duck Tape Lap Top. There are also 220 kids craft projects for only $1.
- Cost/Contact: Free /
Family Movie Night
- When/Where: on y Aug. 17 at 6:30
- Why Go: See the cute movie “Happy Feet 2” this summer on the big screen! Refreshments provided. Bring blankets, pillows, and whatever makes you most comfortable. A grown up must accompany children into the Library and remain with them in the Community Room during the movie presentation.
- Cost/Contact: Free—No registration necessary /
Practice PSAT Test for Teens
- When/Where: Saturday, Aug. 18 from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: For teenagers entering ninth or 10th grade. Kaplan Test Prep is offering a free PSAT practice test. Kaplan will also send each participant an analysis of their results at no charge.
- Cost/Contact: Free. Call to pre-register at 845-735-4084 ext. 115.
Battle of the Books Practice
- When/Where: Wednesday, Aug. 22 at the Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: Participants in the Battle of the Books program are urged to attend to prepare for the contest in September. The Battle of the Books is a competition for students in grades nine through 12 in which they answer questions about books they have read.
- Cost/Contact: For more information or to get involved, contact librarian Christina Linder at 845-735-4084.
Wagging Tails: Read to a Dog
- When/Where: Wednesday, Aug. 15 in the Pearl River Public Library Community Room from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Why Go: For this new event two Bassett Hounds will be there to listen as children read. Maizie and Megan are certified therapy dog, so they are trained to listen, which will help give children confidence.
- Cost/Contact: Pre-register to read in person. For more information, call Pamela Gunning at 845-735-4084 ext. 126.
- When/Where: Friday, August 17, 7:00 pm / 1 Provident Bank Park Dr, Pomona
- Why Go: If your kids are budding audiophiles, or simply want a first-concert experience, seeing these ‘90s icons in Pomona is a sure-shot.
- Cost/Contact: $25 - $45 / www.rocklandboulders.com
- When/Where: Saturday, August 18, 10:00 am / Rockland Center for the Arts, 27 S Greenbush Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: Take a stroll outdoors and take in RoCA’s sculptures
- Cost/Contact: Free / 845-358-0877