Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
- When/Where: in Nanuet on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 11 a.m.
- Why Go: Join Ms. Mariann for a fun-filled hour of Storytime in the Children's Department. Storytime runs every Wednesday during the summer.
- Cost/Contact: Free—
Library Quilt Display
- When/Where: September and October at the during regular hours.
- Why Go: Quilting may seem like a lost art for some of the younger generations so bring them in to appreciate the craft. During the months of September and October, quilts made by Mabel Kepler and Ruth Baker will be on display, they have been quilting for years and travel around the United States to various quilt shows to get ideas for their next projects.
- Cost/Contact: Free /
- When/Where: Saturday, September 1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m./Germonds Presbyterian Church, 39 Germonds Rd, New City
- What: Two scouts from Boy Scout Troop 97 are holding a fundraiser carwash for their Eagle Scout projects.
- Cost/Contact: $7
- When/Where: Sunday, September 2 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m./South Main Street between Congers Road and Third Street, New City
- Why Go: Join a “fun in the sun” day along South Main Street on one of last days of summer. Come for a unique shopping experience, arts and crafts vendors, local food tastings, rides and entertainment at its best! Pony rides, petting zoo and arcade games are just some of the special activities.
- Cost/Contact: Free admission/ http://newcitychamber.com/?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=53
- When/Where: Monday, Sept. 3 at 3 p.m./American Burrito, 195 South Main St, New City
- Why Go: American Burrito will host its 2nd Annual Labor Day Eating Challenge. It will feature the defending champion and local legend "The Giant" competing against a pro from Hartford, CT and other contestants.
- Cost/Contact: Free admission/www.americanburrito.com
Battle of the Books Practice
- When/Where: Wednesday, Sept. 5 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: Participants in the Battle of the Books program are urged to attend to prepare for the contest in September. The Battle of the Books is a competition for students in grades nine through 12 in which they answer questions about books they have read.
- Cost/Contact: For more information or to get involved, contact librarian Christina Linder at 845-735-4084.
Orangetown Theme Park Ticket Sales
- When/Where: Thursday, Aug. 30 and Friday, Aug. 31 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Orangetown Parks and Recreation Office.
- Why Go: Looking for a deal on theme park tickets? The last chance to buy them through the Orangetown Parks and Recreation Dept. for the 2012 season ends Friday. Included are Dorney Park (Allentown, PA), Great Escape (Lake George, NY), Hershey Park (Hershey, PA), Lake Compounce (Bristol, CT), Morey’s Piers (Wildwood and Vernon, NJ), Sesame Place (Langhorne, PA), Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ), Great Adventure Hurricane Harbor. No minumum purchase but the maximum is 10 per family. Tickets are non-refundable
- Cost/Contact: Cash or check only. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (845) 356-6503.
- When/Where: Saturday, September 1, 7 p.m. / 27 Firemens Memorial Dr, Pomona
- Why Go: Check out Rockland’s local ballplayers, and stick around afterward for an impressive firework show.
- Cost/Contact: $9 - $17 / http://rocklandboulders.com/
- When/Where: Friday, August 31, 8 p.m. /, 82 N Broadway, Nyack
- Why Go: Introduce the kids to some classic cinema outdoors—and be sure to arrive early to see the flash mob.
- Cost/Contact: Free / (845) 358 - 0774