St. Baldrick's Day is known by most people around here and is just around the corner. On Sunday, March 11, Barr Middle School Teacher Vinny Garrison will join many others in the community to shave his head for St. Baldrick's Day.
As a volunteer event organizer, this is going to be the ninth year he'll go bald for the St. Baldrick's Day Foundation at the Hennessy Center on the Dominican College campus from 11-3.
"Cancer is such a terrible disease that affects so many people, especially little children. St. Baldrick's Day brings people together that share one common cause, finding cures to all cancers that affect children. As a father of one child and with a second on the way, the event takes on an even greater importance."
Residents will shave their heads to stand in solidarity with kids fighting cancer, but more importantly, to raise money to find cures. This volunteer-driven charity funds more in childhood cancer research grants than any organization except the U.S. government and donations will give hope to infants, children, teens and young adults fighting childhood cancers.
So far, Garrison has raised $635 of his $1,000 goal. Here's how you can help Garrison:
- You could join me on stage and have your head shaved to help show kids that not having hair is not a big deal (free lunch at Baileys after for shavees.)
- You could come and help at the event, free t-shirt to volunteers and a lot of fun.
- You could donate to me or anyone else at events all over the country (there are more than 1,000 events going on this year.)
Here is the link to Garrison's Donation Page.
"Childhood Cancers are crazy brutal and being a father now, it makes me more aware of how much some kids have to go through to live a normal healthy life," he said. " If you can help out this year, I would appreciate it immensely, and so would all the kids going through treatment."
Garrison's Sponsors so far:
- Doreen Bologovsky
- Mr. Jay Detusch In Memory Of Regina Thorne
- Mr. Steve Garrison
- Sean P. Harrington
- Michelle Hill In Honor Of Mr. Jaxon Davis
- Bob Hirt
- Mr. Ralph S Lapidus
- Chad & Maureen Longway
- The Longways
- Ms. Carol O'Connor
- The Orlando Family