The weather’s getting better so here’s a good reason to get outside for some exercise. The Rockland Road Runners is presenting the first annual 5K/10K Bill Fortune Memorial Run to benefit Meals on Wheels Programs and Services of Rockland.
“The race is named in memory of Bill Fortune who died last year,” said Amy Stern, race director. “Bill was an avid runner who smiled his way to victory in hundreds of races and shattered national records securing him a handful of world records in various age groups. With at least ten marathons under his belt, Bill specialized in the 5k and 10k distance. At age 64, Bill ran a 5:23 mile. In the 70-74 age group, his career peaked and his 6-minute mile dominated the competition and earned him international praise. Bill’s inspirational attitude landed him several prestigious awards and he traveled the world to pursue his passion. He served as a local running coach for many.”
Don’t like to run? Don’t worry, there’s a 5k Walk to Drive Away Hunger going on at the same time and place. The run/walk is on Sunday, May 22 at the North Entrance to Rockland Lake Park. Here’s some basic info:
- Online registration will not be available after May 15
- Pre-Race Packet Pick-Up and Registration will from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, May 18 at Meals on Wheels, 121 West Nyack Road, Nanuet
- The 10K Run (6.2 miles) is flat and fast - twice around Rockland Lake
- The 5K Run/Walk (3.1 miles) is one flat, scenic loop around Rockland Lake
Race Day Schedule
- Rockland Lake State Park charges a parking fee after 8 a.m. so arrive early
- 7:15 - 8:15 .m.—Check-In
- 8:30 a.m.—10K & 5K Runs
- 8:40 a.m.—5K Walk
- RRR Members - $20 before May 15
- Non Members - $30 before May 15
- From May 15 to Race Day, fee is $35 for all
- $100 to the first place male and female overall finishers for the 10K Run
- Prizes presented to the top three male and female finishers in the 10K and 5K run for the following age groups: 19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- Givaways guaranteed to the first 250 run registrants
Registration forms for the Highview Playground 5k run/walk will also be available at this run/walk
“This is a new race … offered by the Rockland Road Runners,” said Stern. “The club no longer had a 10K race and I was looking for a way to support Rockland Meals on Wheels. I offered to serve as race director and the club enthusiastically agreed to support Meals on Wheels.”
All walkers and runners are encouraged to form teams and raise money for Meals on Wheels. The sponsor form is available on the RRR’s website.
Proceeds will benefit the Agency’s homebound, senior center and adult day care programs.