Come Sunday, the will be open for the last time. This will mean that there will not be any Blockbusters left in Rockland County, just like the last that closed last week in Nanuet. There are still thousands of items left for its liquidation sale. They are mostly movies, but there are also TV shows, games, poster art and movie snacks. Other items on sale include the DVD shelving racks, filing cabinets and everything else in the store.
The liquidation sale began and the prices are a bargain. New movies are 60 percent off, used are $2.99 and under. After the place closes, all employees will lose their jobs and as they chat about rumors they hear of Blockbuster's replacement, the name 'Olive Garden' comes up. The landlord will decide what is to become of the building.
The recognizable blue and yellow store was once a leader in video rentals. But today, the economy and other competitors are probably the factors that led to the closure of manyBlockbusters.
To compete with Netflix and Redbox, the company offered the Blockbuster Total Access, which gives unlimited rentals by mail, unlimited in-store exchanges, many new releases 28 days before Netflix and Redbox and it includes Blu-ray and video games.
Movie lovers will now have to get look at other options:
Blockbuster die-hards will need to make the trip to these locations:
- 385 Washington Avenue, Hillsdale, NJ 07642—(201) 263-0169
- 530 Kinderkamack, River Edge, NJ 07661—(201) 576-9880
- 475 State Route 17M, Monroe, NY 10950—(845) 783-6655
- 1428 Teaneck Rd, Teaneck, NJ 07666—(201) 837-9114
Netflix, who is now struggling as well because in July 2011, the company announced a : Existing customers have the option to have only DVD rentals or only on-demand streaming, whereas before, both options were combined.
Then, there's the option of Redbox, which let's you can rent movies (including Blu-ray) or video games from more than 28,000 locations nationwide. These automated video rental kiosks are often found outside of grocery stores, mass merchant retailers, drugstores, restaurants and convenience stores.
Here are several Redbox Kiosks nearby:
- —Indoor at 32 South Middletown Road, Nanuet, NY 10954
- —Indoor at 26 N Middletown Rd, Pearl River, NY 10965
- ShopRite—Outdoor at 243 Route 59, West Nyack, NY 10994
- Walmart—Indoor at 250 Route 59, Airmont, NY 10952
- ShopRite—Outdoor at 66 N Main St, New City, NY 10956
- —Indoor at 180 N Main St, New City, NY 10956
Then there's also the alternative of going to the movie theater—whether it's the , or at the Palisades Center or waiting for the new one at the .