Voters will be asked to choose two candidates for the board of education on May 15. There are three that are running for the two seats: Incumbents Sarah Chauncey and Ed Dingman and Challenger Scott Walters.
Walters has not been on the board, but has run six times, including last year. The proposed 2012-13 school budget will also be voted on at the May 15 election as well.
Other agenda items from Tuesday night’s Board of Education meeting included personnel approval.
The tax levy limit has forced the Nanuet Schools, along with every other district, make difficult budget decisions. For Nanuet, certain positions were eliminated effective June 30:
- Nikyta Jefferson in the Academic Tenure Area of English
- Sara Levine and Alicia Ignarra in the Academic Tenure Area of Foreign Language
- Marisa Wolf in the Academic Tenure Area of Social Studies
- Raymond Pawlyk in the Special Academic Tenure Area of Physical Education. He will be recalled from the Preferred Eligible List to an Elementary position.
The following part-time, regular substitute, and permanent substitute positions were eliminated, effective June 30.
- Lauren Domitrovits—Special Education
- Rachel Friedman—Foreign Language
- Maureen Garrett—Speech
- Jennifer Gray—Regular Substitute English Teacher
- Linda Hartnagel—Teaching Assistant
- Ana Hedberg—School Psychologist
- Catherine —CPSE Chair
- Suzanne McCormack—Permanent Substitute and PT teacher
- Katherine McNamara—Regular Substitute Reading Teacher
- Thomas Quinn—Regular Substitute Math Teacher
- Jessie Soboloski—Regular Substitute Math Teacher
On the other hand, several new positions were added., such as a part-time special education position and two elementary positions, both effective Sept. 1
Approved Non-certified personnel:
- Heather Jarvis was appointed to the position of substitute Teacher Aide at the rate of $15.16 per hour, effective 4/18/12.
- Kimberly Davren was appointed to the position of Girls’ Modified Lacrosse for the Spring 2012 season.
The board also approved of tax certiorari settlements:
DMR Realty Group and the district reached a settlement that will require a refund of approximately $1,694 from tax certiorari petitions in 2010 and 2011.
Rockland Hospitality Associates and the district reached a settlement that will require a refund of approximately $13,650 from tax certiorari petitions from 2007 to 2011
Tri-Murti and the district reached a settlement that will require a refund of approximately $56,422 from tax certiorari petitions in 2010 and 2011
The board approved an overnight trip to the University of Pennsylvania.
Twelve girls, accompanied by two coaches, and six boys, accompanied by one coach, will be competing in the Penn Relays. The Varsity Girls Track team will be competing April 25-27 and the Boys on April 27-28.
The Nanuet Track Club or parents and students are taking care of all costs, except for the application fees of $215 and the drivers’ overtime, if any, which will be paid by the district.
The board also approved a service agreement with PAETEC, a Windstream for the district’s local and long distance telephone service.