The Pirates will hold on to the newly-created championship belt until the teams face off again next year in what the organizers of the event hope will be an annual tradition similar to the Little Brown Jug football game.
Pearl River senior Rob Gullo won the 100th match of his career Thursday. The event also served as senior recognition for the Pirates.
The Battle for the Belt also serves as a fundraiser. This year's proceeds go to the Tommy Lollipop Project and the Tommy Scogs Foundation, two organizations dedicated to helping others in the name of Tommy Scognamiglio, a Pearl River teenager who passed away from cancer in October 2012. Scognamiglio would have been a senior at Pearl River High School this year.
Read more about the Battle for the Belt here.
Pearl River 33, Nanuet 31
- 99 pounds: Dylan Urban (PR) pin Akif Ahmad, 0:50
- 106: Sean McGarvey (PR) TF Karl Burnich
- 113: James Kelly (PR) dec. Dylan Mateo, 7-2
- 120: Joe Dillon (N) dec. Jake Kurzhals, 2-0
- 126: Eric Boyle (N) dec. Jack Chesman, 11-2
- 132: Chris Lowery (N) dec. Anthony Malfitano, 10-5
- 138: Nick Simeti (PR) MD Chris Van Schaick, 14-1
- 145: John Muldoon (PR) dec. Chris Rooney, 5-3
- 152: Frank Paratore (N) m. for. Mike Zimnoch
- 160: Frank Toto (N) won by forfeit
- 170: Rob Gullo (PR) dec. Alex Slaybaugh, 7-1
- 182: Brett Connor (N) won by forfeit
- 195: Jarettt Bravo (N) dec. Jack Arnold, 13-9
- 220: Bryan Kondracki (PR) pin Dennis Van Dunk, 5:27
- 285: David Avery (PR) dec. Max Rabinowitz, 5-4